Monday, September 25, 2006

The General Deal Down Here

Part of the reason that I'm re-starting the blog is because a few people have actually asked me to get it going again because they enjoyed it, which was a little surprising and a lot flattering. But another part is that I've been doing a pretty poor job of keeping in touch with the folks back in the Northeast about what my life down in Nashville at law school is like. So while the Clubhouse will continue to have musings about Roadhouse II on DVD or the fundamental nature of Simpsky, at least for the next couple weeks I'm gonna try and catch y'all up with what I've been up to and how law school is going. There've been a lot of funny stories and things that have come up that I've been excited to share with people, either in person or through the blog, so I just hope I can remember them all and get them up on the web. That way when I come back to New York we can just hang out without me having to recap the whole last couple months of my life, and it'll be just like I never left. (I'm using the word "left" for lack of a better synonym, but for the record, I have not "left" the Northeast.)

For the record, I have not developed a southern accent and do not apologize for my use of "y'all" above. I believe, but can not verify, that I used that word before I came down here, and its usefulness is undeniable.

I can basically sum up August 16th through today in one sentence: I've done more schoolwork than ever before in my life and I've been drinking ridiculous amounts that rival undergraduate levels, if not surpass them. Of course it's been a long time since undergrad, and the times I drank a lot are not the most lucid memories, so it's tough to guage the second part of that sentence. That's another running theme during the last six weeks: I am OLD. Most of my good friends down here are 21, 22 or 23.

One of those 21-year-olds is my roommate Dani. That situation has been about as good as I could have hoped for. She's cool and totally Northeastern. She's from Strong Island so she's got a bit of B&T in her, but she's fucking hilarious. Here are a couple photos of us at approximately 3:30 in the morning last Friday night in our apartment. Friday was parents' visitation day, so we went out to dinner with both sets of parents and decided when we went out at 10:30 to just "take it easy" because it'd been a long day and we both had to see our parents early Saturday morning. Several hours of beerpong and flip cup later, we had a few people back to our apartment for some more drinks, and Dani and I ended up on the floor.




Please note the glass of scotch in the lower righthand corner of the second photo. There aren't many of my classmates who drink scotch (and yet, I'm personally burning through the gigantic bottle of Black Label at an amazing pace). Sometime last week I was being totally unproductive so I decided that it would be best for me to just go to sleep and wake up early to get my reading done. I had a bit of a cough so I decided to dose myself with Nyquil in order to ensure a good night's sleep. Of course, then Dani and I decided to hang out and have a heart-to-heart about boys and whatnot (there's a fair degree of drama, as one would expect with a 21-year-old girl who just broke up with her boyfriend). An hour later I was three or four scotches deep on top of the Nyquil and was having difficulty forming proper noun-and-subject sentences, but it was actually one of the more enjoyable evenings I've had down here.

This post is already much longer than I imagined it and has taken more time than I had allotted myself to finish it, so I've got to cut it off and come back to some of this stuff tomorrow. I'm leaving the law school now to go home and swim some laps-- I've been very good about swimming five or six times a week since classes started, but because of all the drinking I've probably actually put on a couple pounds since I got down here. Then tonight I'm going to my beginner swing class (yeah, das right) with my friends Maggie, Ashlee and Kristin, followed by a couple hours drinking at Chili's (which is donating 100% of their profits across the country tonight to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital) and then back to my place to watch the first episode of "Studio 60" on DVR. Then it'll be up at 6:00 AM tomorrow to get to the law school early enough to get a coveted close parking spot... I mean to get a headstart on my work.

College is fun.

Tomorrow I'll introduce you to the concept of Facebook.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, September 25, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back Mr. Veiter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home