Thursday, June 15, 2006

Gus Simpsky?

Watching "For Love of the Game" last night, the baseball movie with Kevin Costner as Billy Chapel, the baseball player who must choose between the woman he loves and the game he lives for, and it's also got John C. Reilly as his longtime catcher and friend. Great supporting role, but nothing of note... until, that is, you see the name on the back of his jersey. Gus the catcher's last name is Sinski.

You may not know "Mike Semsky," but he goes by many names: Simpsky, Semisky, Oopsky, Drinksky, etc. It would not surprise me at all to hear that at one time someone called him Sinski.

If you don't know Simpsky, you should make a point of it. I've known him for approximately 23 years, and those years were immensely better than the first 5. Seriously, I'm a fan. As I recently said to him in an inebriated state on the deck of his beach house in Rhode Island, I consider myself fortunate to be in his universe.

The similarities between Sinski and Simpsky go beyond the sounds of their names. For instance, when Sinski comes into Billy Chapel's hotel room and there a bunch of empty mini-fridge bottles of alcohol and Chapel's obviously hung over, he observes, "You know, a lot of little bottles makes a big bottle, Chapy," which is totally something that Simpsky would say, and he'd be right. Simpsky's right most of the time.

Later in the movie, Chapel's throwing a perfect game but he's old and tired and tells Sinski he doesn't know if he has anything left for the last couple innings. And Sinski tells him, "You just throw whatever you got, whatever's left. The boys are all here for you. We're gonna be awesome for you right now!" Ah... Supportsky.

Feel free to use the comment section to further compare and contrast Sinski (or catchers in general) and Simpsky.

(One thing about the movie that irked me, though: the premise is that it's the end of the season, the owner has sold the team and the new corporate owners want to trade Billy Chapel to the Giants, so he has to decide whether he wants to be traded out of Detroit, where he's pitched for the last 19 years, or simply retire as a Tiger. The problem, though, is that if he'd pitched his whole career for the Tigers he'd qualify as a "10 and 5" guy, with 10 years of MLB service who's been with the same club for the last five years, which means that he would have to approve any trade to another team. I know it's a baseball-nerdy thing to point out, but, well... I'm a baseball nerd. I even looked it up to see if it was a recent phenomenon, but the 10-and-5 rule was collectively bargained in 1973, so it should have applied in a current-day movie that was made in 1999.)

7 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, June 16, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

I had no idea John C. Reilly was in this movie. That almost makes me want to watch it again.

 
At 1:38 PM, June 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought you were going to post that pic of Simsk from RI. What happened?

 
At 1:50 PM, June 23, 2006, Blogger pundyveit said...

Well, my anonymous little friend, because of your anonymity I don't know how well you know me, but let me make this perfectly clear: I AM LAZY.

If I wasn't lazy, this would be an AWESOME blog. But, things as they are, it's only so-so.

 
At 1:14 PM, June 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll give you two hints... first, I'm very lazy too. So lazy that I did this anonymously b/c it's easier than signing into this blogger site or whatever. Also, I am not little by any means. In fact I'm fairly large. (I know, with our group of friends that doesn't really narrow it down), but now at least you know I'm not Canoni, Beckmann or Mittleman).

 
At 10:47 AM, July 07, 2006, Blogger pundyveit said...

UPDATE:
In Rhode Island this weekend we were playing softball and I hit a rocket right back at Simpsky, who was pitching, and he caught it with his glove right before it smashed his nards.

As we were all applauding the fantastic play in the field, Copenhaver had the line of the day when he offered up a new name for Simpsky to add to the list: Self-Defensky

 
At 9:55 PM, July 19, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:38 PM, March 13, 2010, Blogger Lee Robinson said...

Glad that you did the research on the 10 and 5 rule back when you wrote this...my husband and I are watching the DVD right now (first time I've seen the whole thing), and as soon as that conversation took place, I was like, "He's been with the team his whole career...he's a 10 and 5 guy. They can't trade him unless he wants to be traded." Then I wondered when the rule was enacted...thanks for clearing this up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home